AGRIBUSINESS: A TOOL FOR THE EMPOWERMENT OF RURAL WOMEN
Regional Course for African Countries In partnership with UNIDO – United Nations Industrial Development Organization
16 – 27 June 2019
About the Course
Addressing gender equality and the empowerment of women, as well as increasing attention to economic and social development strategies within rural areas, are globally recognized ascritical aspects of sustainable development. Rural women play a critical rolein rural economies and societies in both developing and developed countries.Across the world, rural women have proven their commitment andresourcefulness in finding or adapting new ways to improve their own lives,as well as those of their families and communities. The agricultural sector and food production have been among themain pillars of the Israeli economy since Israel's declaration ofindependence, with the investment of massive funds for continuous researchand development. However, over the last few years, the number of activefarmers in Israel has been drastically reduced. There is a continuous exit of small farmers from business, due tothe limitation of land and water and an ever increasing trend away fromfarming to other professions. Today's farmers need to adapt to this processby making the required transition from being simple producers to becomingmanagers of an agricultural enterprise, armed with the latest technologiesand know-how, as well as an understanding of the market. Agricultural diversification, coupled with intensive Research andDevelopment and effective up-to-date extension services for rural farms, willprevent the transformation of additional farming lands for non-agriculturaluse and keep farmers and rural professions in business. As technology andintensive agricultural methods change the conditions of agriculturalproduction, farmers need to explore other alternatives in order to remain inthe rural areas. Taking into account current trends, Israel is ready to share itsrich experience in agribusiness for the enhancement of rural development.
The proposed training program aimsat contributing to rural women’s empowerment by exploring agriculturalentrepreneurship, as well as additional, farm related components of the ruraleconomy contributing to income generation and employment, taking intoconsideration the adaptability of methods and technologies, to meet localconditions in each participant's country. The participants will be exposed tothe various aspects of planning, development, and management of smallbusinesses in agro-industries, so that by the end of the course they are able to:
· Use the tools of value chainanalysis to elaborate growth strategies
· Organize, supervise, and managefarm production effectively and profitably
· Initiate, organize, and managesmall agribusiness projects
· Provide tools for supporting smallscale businesses in rural areas
· Plan and organize small and largeagriculture enterprises with an emphasis on the entrepreneurial concept
· Entrepreneurial Training: How tostart and manage an agro-enterprise
· Marketing and Branding forAgribusiness
· Women in business
· Support systems in Israel and bestpractices in promoting agro-entrepreneurship
· New trends in modern agriculture(technological advancements, nutritional concerns, water/energy management)
· How agribusiness can find solutionsto economic, social, and environmental problems
· Sustainable agriculture and the SustainableDevelopment Goals (SDGs)
This regional course is geared towards prominent and influential professionals,practitioners and policymakers involved in agriculture and rural development,as well as experienced representatives of the agriculture private sector.Candidates should hold a senior position, an academic degree inrelated disciplines and have at least five years of professional workexperience in related fields. A full command of English is required.
Application forms and other information may be obtained at the nearest Israeli mission or at website.